A taste of the med: Caramelised aubergine with chickpeas and turmeric yogurt
A lovely veggie number, and vegans can swap in non-dairy coconut yogurt for Greek.
2 aubergines, ends trimmed, cut into 1 cm slices
about 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp date syrup
about 2½ tbsp lemon juice, plus ¼ tsp finely grated zest
400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp finely chopped shallot
2 tbsp roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus extra to serve
150g Greek yogurt
¼ tsp ground turmeric
- Preheat the oven to 210C/ 190C fan/gas 6½. Lay out the aubergine rounds on a couple of nonstick baking sheets, brushing the slices on both sides with about 1 tbsp oil and seasoning the top. Roast for 20 minutes. While they cook, mix the date syrup with 1 tbsp lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Brush the tops of the aubergine slices with the date syrup mixture, then turn over and brush the other sides and cook for another 20-25 minutes until golden and sticky. Loosen with a spatula. These can be served warm or at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, roughly crush the chickpeas in a large bowl using a potato masher – you want about half crushed and half to remain whole. Dress with 2 tbsp oil, 1 tbsp lemon juice and season, then fold in the shallot and parsley.
- For the sauce, mix the yogurt, lemon zest and remaining ½ tbsp juice, the turmeric and a little salt in a small bowl.
- Arrange the aubergine slices on plates with the chickpeas spooned over and around. Dollop with a spoon of the yogurt, drizzle over a few drops of any remaining date syrup mixture and scatter over some more parsley.
GET AHEAD This recipe can be prepared up to the third step several hours in advance. Cover everything and set aside until ready to serve.