13 C
London
Saturday, October 23, 2021

Top Tips To Keep Your Family Safe from Electrical Fires

- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img
- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

A house fire can be devastating. The simple truth is that house fires kill people every year and one of the biggest causes of fires in the home is electrical issues. Of course, even if you are lucky enough that no one dies from the fire, it will still destroy your home and your sentimental possessions. 

The good news is that you can reduce your risk of electrical fires by following a few simple rules.

Get An Annual Inspection

A reputable Sydney electrician will happily give your electrics an annual inspection. While they are at your home they will check the breakers to ensure they are working properly. They will inspect each circuit to look for damaged connections or an issue with the electrical current. In many cases, they will also look at your water heater and other electrical appliances.

Looking at all these items will allow them to identify any current or impending issues. You will then be able to get them resolved and this will reduce the risk of electrical issues and fires. 

Smoke Alarms

Every house should have at least one smoke alarm per floor level of the property. It can often make more sense to have multiple smoke alarms, perhaps one in each room.  Approximately half of the house fires happen when people are sleeping. 

A smoke alarm can wake you and your family and give you the time to get safely out. 

Create An Escape Plan

It is a good idea to look at each room of the house and work out how you would escape in the event of a fire. You can add all these things to an escape plan. It’s best to create two avenues of escape from each room if possible. 

Make sure all upstairs rooms have fire windows that can be opened in an emergency. 

You should do test runs with your family to ensure everyone knows what to do and where to meet. 

Unplug Electrics

Electrical appliances draw current, even when they are not in use. This increases the draw on your system and the potential for wires to be melted and fires to start. That’s why it’s a good idea to unplug all electrical items when they are not in use. 

Avoid Overloading

Extension cables that are still partially coiled will get hot and potentially start a fire. Equally, pulling too much current through a circuit will have the same effect. To prevent this from being an issue you need to avoid overloading the circuits. 

In short, avoid using extension cables and socket multipliers as these increase the risk of a fire. 

Visual Inspections

An electrician will check all your circuits but you should also check all the wiring for your appliances. A visual inspection will tell you if any wiring is damaged. Damaged wiring causes electric shocks and potentially will start a fire. 

If it is stop using the appliance. It will either need rewiring or to be replaced. 

- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

Latest news

- Advertisement -spot_img

Related news

- Advertisement -spot_img