The Tor Browser is an open and non-commercial program that gives users anonymous access to the Internet and does not require money for it. The main idea of the project is to promote human rights by providing free and safe access to the Web. For ordinary users, this is a way to protect themselves and their traffic not only from authorities but also from providers, owners of public WiFi points and sites, for example, as well as a way to bypass the blocking of some sites.
What Does Tor Do?
The Onion Router refers to the principle of the browser. It can encrypt the traffic three times, creating three layers of an onion.
Tor is known for hiding the user’s identity when browsing dark web links on the Internet. Its viewing settings can be changed.
Encrypted traffic is sent to computer A, which removes the first layer of ciphers and sees the address of computer B. Computer B, removing another layer, sees the address of computer C, without knowing where the traffic originally came from and where it ends up. And only through computer C, you can access the Internet.
How to Change Tor Browser Settings?
To change your settings, follow these simple steps:
- Open the Tor Browser and click on the three horizontal bars in the top right corner of the window.
- Go to “Settings,” then to “Privacy and Security.”
- Scroll down to the History section and uncheck “Always use private browsing mode.”
- You will be prompted to restart the browser as the new settings will only be applied in a new session.
- After unchecking the box, you can choose from three different options:
- Remember your browsing and download history: Tor will keep your browsing history until you manually delete it.
- Remember search and form history: The browser remembers search queries and passwords for a better user experience in the future.
- Clear history when closing Tor Browser: The history will be completely cleared when Tor is closed.
What Security Modes Are Available in the Browser?
Tor offers three security modes when browsing the Internet:
- Standard: All website features are included in Tor.
You can select the desired mode in the browser settings in the “Privacy and Security” – “Security” section.
Tor is one of the best browsers if you are concerned about your privacy. When browsing through Tor, it’s best to leave private browsing enabled. In safe security mode, it’s best to stay away from non-HTTPS sites that don’t encrypt communications between the browser and the site’s server.