The faster 800: Low-carb sausage ‘lasagne’
We created this easy recipe during a brilliant Zoom session when we had to come up with a dish using specific ingredients. We swapped the starchy lasagne sheets for layers of courgette.
PREP 15 mins
COOK 60 mins
PER SERVING 379 cals
PROTEIN 16g CARBS 10g FAT 30g FIBRE 3g
6 good-quality sausages (around 400g total weight)
2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
400g can chopped tomatoes
250g young spinach leaves
2 medium courgettes, trimmed and sliced lengthways into strips 3mm-4mm thick
good pinch ground nutmeg
200g full-fat crème fraîche
40g Parmesan, finely grated
- Preheat the oven to 200C/ 180C fan/gas 6.
- Place a shallow, flameproof casserole over a medium heat. Squeeze the sausages out of their skins into the pan in small chunks. Add the onions and fry together, stirring, for 10 minutes, or until the onion is softened and the sausages are lightly browned. Add the garlic and oregano and cook for a few seconds. Tip the tomatoes into the pan and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring regularly, until thick.
- Place the spinach in a colander in the sink and pour just-boiled water over the top until it softens. Otherwise, you can soften it in the microwave. Leave to stand until cool enough to handle, then squeeze the leaves to remove as much water as possible.
- Remove the casserole from the heat and season well. Place the courgette slices over the sausage mixture and top with the spinach.
- Stir the nutmeg into the crème fraîche and spread over the spinach – you don’t need to be too neat. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and season with more ground black pepper. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until starting to brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve with a large green salad.
Avoid cooking this for any longer than stated, as the courgettes release more liquid as they bake.