Wireless smoke alarms are connected to other interconnected wireless smoke alarm devices in the house. This means that if, for example, a fire is discovered in the children’s room by the wireless smoke detector there, the device reports the fire to all surrounding wireless smoke detectors. The parents in the bedroom are then alerted immediately.
- The security aspect is therefore a very big and decisive advantage. The installation of wireless smoke alarms is certainly useful in larger apartments and houses. By installing several wireless smoke detectors, it is no longer possible to overhear the alarm tone in another room.
- The transmission is wireless, so there is no need to lay complex cabling. The radio smoke alarms work with block batteries.
- Radio smoke detectors are equipped with radio modules. They reach an enormous range of around 30-50 meters within a building.
Another advantage that should not be underestimated is that wireless smoke detectors are very easy to install. Not only, as already mentioned, there is no need for cabling, but the devices are also immediately ready for use. By the way: There are already smart smoke detectors that send a message to your smartphone in the event of an alarm.
Smoke alarms can save lives. In addition to conventional safety devices, there are now smoke detectors that are internet-enabled and network-operated. Advantages of such a device are, for example:
- The smoke detector automatically sends notifications to your smartphone and informs you about dangers and the maintenance status of the device.
- Other events (e.g. a broken door) also trigger the alarm.
- You can check the battery level on your smartphone. In this practical tip, we explain what you should also consider when buying a WiFi smoke detector.
- The smoke detector also works in the event of a power failure or if the WLAN is switched off. In an emergency, a click on your smartphone is enough for the emergency number.
- If there are several smoke detectors in the house, the detectors are connected to one another. If a device detects smoke, this is transmitted to the other detectors. All detectors then give an alarm.
What is important when buying a WiFi smoke detector?
It is especially important to pay attention to the quality when purchasing a security device. The following aspects can help you in your purchase decision:
- In order to be able to use a WiFi smoke detector, you must have WiFi in the entire house. The WiFi smoke detectors should also be able to work when the WiFi is switched off in the house.
- The smoke detector should have a minimum frequency of 400 MHz for optimal wireless transmission of the data.
- A volume of at least 75 dB is required for the alarm to be heard everywhere.
- To avoid annoying battery changes, make sure when buying that a 10-year long-life battery (3.6 V lithium) is built into the device. The battery offers you long-lasting security.
- If you need several smoke detectors in the house, then all detectors should have a large radio range.